Ma. Nina Kristine C. Sison, Emmanuel Tadeus S. Cruz,
Mark Arjan R. Fernandez Related Institution
Department of Otorhinolaryngology - Head and Neck Surgery - Quezon City General Hospital Publication Information
Publication Sub Type
Philippine Journal of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
OBJECTIVE: To present a case of progressive hemifacial atrophy in a young woman with Parry-Romberg Syndrome and the role of autologous fat transfer to improve her aesthetic appearance and lessen facial asymmetry.
Design: Case Report
Setting: Tertiary Government Training Hospital
RESULTS: A 20-year old woman consulted because of drooping of the right eyelid and gradual thinning of right cheek muscles since age 16. On examination, the right facial muscles were hypoplastic with prominent facial bony ridges. An MRI scan showed atrophy of the right medial pterygoid and masseter. She underwent autologous fat transfer on the right side of the face to augment the cheek, improve cosmetic appearance and lessen facial asymmetry.
Conclusion: Our patient is satisfied and happy with the outcome and cosmetic appearance of her autologous fat transfer and is ready to undergo the same procedure if the need arises in the future. Although no definite cure exists for Parry Romberg syndrome, our report illustrates the role of autologous fat transfer as an inexpensive, easily harvested and biocompatible material to improve facial asymmetry. The procedure yielded encouraging results, although long-term benefits remain uncertain.
Keywords: Parry-Romberg syndrome; progressive hemifacial atrophy; autologous transplantation References
1. Srivastava, D , Singh, H , Mishra, S , Sharma, P , Kapoor, P , Chandra, L . "Facial asymmetry revisited: Part I- diagnosis and treatment planning."
J Oral Biol Craniofac Res 8(1): 7–14, January 2018-April 2018
2. El-Kehdy, J , Abbas, O , Rubeiz, N . "A review of Parry Romberg"
J Am Acad Dermatol 67(4): 769-84, October 2012
3. Wójcicki, P , Zachara, M . "Surgical Treatment of Patients with Parry-Romberg Syndrome"
Ann Plast Surg 66(3): 267-72, March 2011
4. Hamed, S A. "Comorbid nervous system manifestations and disorders with myasthenia gravis: Evidences and possible mechanisms"
J Neuro 3(13): 3, 2012
5. Wong, M , Philips, C D, Hagiwara, M , Shatzkes, D R. "Parry Romberg Syndrome: 7 Cases and Literature Review"
AJNR Am J Neuroradiol 36(7): 1355-61, July 2015
6. Bucher, F , Fricke, J , Neugebauer, A , Cursiefen, C , Heindi, L M. "Ophthalmological manifestations of Parry-Romberg syndrome"
Surv Ophthalmol 61(6): 693-701, November 2016-December 2016
7. Tenchavez, P S, Chi, E T, Fojas, M S, Espiritu, R B. "Parry- Romberg syndrome: Revisited"
Philipp J Neurol 3, 79-80, 1997
8. Moko, S B, Mistry, Y , Blandin de Chalain, T M. "Parry-Romberg syndrome: intracranial MRI appearances"
J Cranio-Maxillofacial Surg 31(5): 321–324, October 2003
9. Tam, E K, Lonngi, M , Demer, J L. "MRI findings of contralateral oculomotor nerve palsy in Parry-Romberg syndrome"
Am J Ophthalmol Case Rep 10, 81–83, February 2018
10. Ortega, V G, Sastouque, D . "New and Successful Technique for the Management of Parry-Romberg Syndrome’s Soft Tissue Atrophy"
J Craniofac Surg 26(6): e507- 510, September 2015
11. Vix, J , Mathis, S , Lacoste, M , Guillevin, R , Neau, J . "Neurological Manifestations in Parry–Romberg Syndrome. 2 Case Reports Medicine (Baltimore)" 94(28): e1147, July 2015
12. Qiao, J , Gui, L , Fu, X , Niu, F , Liu, J , Chen, Y . "A Novel Method of Mild to Moderate Parry–Romberg Syndrome Reconstruction:Computer-Assisted Surgery with Mandibular Outer Cortex and Fat Grafting"
J Craniofac Surg 28(2): 359-365, March 2017
13. Diepenbrock, R M, Green, J M 3rd. "Autologous Fat Transfer for Maxillofacial Reconstruction"
Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am 26(1): 59-68, March 2018
14. Aust, L , Devlin, B , Foster, S J, Halvorsen, Y D, Hicok, K , du Laney, T . "Yield of human adipose-derive adult stem cells from liposuction aspirates"
Cytotherapy 6(1): 7-14, 2004
15. Rodby, K A, Kaptein, Y E, Roring, J , Jacobs, R J, Kang, V , Quinn, K P. "Evaluating Autologous Lipofilling for Parry-Romberg Syndrome–Associated Defects: A Systematic Literature Review and Case Report"
Cleft Palate Craniofac J 53(3): 339–350, May 2016
16. Simonacci, F , Bertozzi, N , Grieco, M P, Grignaffini, E , Raposio, E . "Procedure, applications, and outcomes of autologous fat grafting"
Ann Med Surg (Lond) 20, 49-60, 2017
17. Jiang, T , Xie, Y , Zhu, M , Zhao, P , Chen, C , Cheng, C . "The second fat graft has significantly better outcome than the first fatgraft for Romberg syndrome: A study of three-dimensional volumetric analysis"
J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 69(12): 1621-1626, December 2016
18. Modarressi, A . "Platlet Rich Plasma (PRP) Improves Fat Grafting Outcomes"
World J Plast Surg 2(1): 6-13, January 2013
19. Gausas, R E. "Technique for combined blepharoplasty and ptosis correction"
Facial Plast Surg 15(3): 193–201, 1999
20. Berlin, A J, Vestal, K P. "Levator aponeurosis surgery: a retrospective review"
Ophthalmology 96(7): 1033–1036, July 1989