Carlo Victorio L. Garcia, Arsenio Claro A. Cabungcal,
Alfredo Quintin Y. Pontejos Jr. Related Institution
Publication Sub Type
Journal Article, Original
Philippine Journal of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
OBJECTIVE: To determine the prognostic value of surgical interventions done among patients with anaplastic thyroid carcinoma (ATC)
METHODS: A five-year retrospective chart review of 25 patients was done and baseline characteristics determined. Patients discharged alive as of the time of last chart entry were followed up by phone interview or personal visit. Overall survival was the main outcome measure which was plotted as Kaplan-Meier estimates and compared via log-rank test. The incidence of complications surrounding tracheostomy and thyroidectomy were also noted.
Design: Ambispective Cohort Study
Setting: Tertiary National University Hospital
Participants: All private and public (charity) patients seen at the wards or clinics diagnosed with ATC via fine needle cytology or tissue histopathology.
RESULTS: All patients presented with either stage IV-B or stage IV-C disease. A significant difference in survival curves was noted when comparing between the two stages (p<.05). Subgroup analysis per stage revealed no significant difference in overall survival when comparing patients who did not undergo surgery, those who underwent tracheostomy or those who underwent thyroidectomy for both IV-B (p=.244) or IV-C (p=.165) disease. The incidence of complications for tracheostomy was 60%, the most common being mucus plugging. For thyroidectomy, the incidence of complications was 80% with hypocalcemia being the most common. CONCLUSION: The current available data fails to demonstrate any significant survival advantage of tracheostomy or thyroidectomy when performed among similarly staged patients. References
1. Aschebrook-Kilfoy, B , Ward, MH , Sabra, MM , Devesa, SS . "Thyroid cancer incidence patterns in theUnited States by histologic type, 1992–2006"
21(2): 125-34, February 2011. Retrieved from:
2. Gervasi, R , Orlanndo, G , Lerose, MA , Amato, B , Docimo, G , Zeppa, P . "Thyroid surgery in geriatricpatients: a literature review."
(12 Suppl 1): S16, 2012. Retrieved from:
3. Are, C , Shaha, AR . "Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: biology, pathogenesis, prognostic factors, andtreatment approaches"
Ann Surg Oncol
13(4): 453-64, April 2006. Retrieved from:
4. Neff, RL , Farrar, WB , Kloos, RT , Burman, KD . "Anaplastic thyroid cancer"
Endocrinol Metab Clin NorthAm
37(2): 525-38, June 2008. Retrieved from:
5. Nagaiah, G , Hossain, A , Mooney, CJ , Parmentier, J , Remick, SC . "Anaplastic thyroid cancer: areview of epidemiology, pathogenesis, and treatment"
2011(542358): 2011. Retrieved from:
6. Hundahl, SA , Fleming , ID , Fremgen, AM , Menck, HR . "A National Cancer Data Base report on 53,856cases of thyroid carcinoma treated in the U.S., 1985-1995"
83(12): 2638-48, December 1998. Retrieved from:
7. Green, LD , Mack, L , Pasieka, JL . "Anaplastic thyroid cancer and primary thyroid lymphoma: areview of these rare thyroid malignancies"
J Surg Oncol
94(8): 725-36, . Retrieved from:
8. Chiacchio, S , Lorenzoni, A , Boni, G , Rubello, D , Elisei, R , Mariani, G . "Anaplastic thyroid cancer:prevalence, diagnosis and treatment"
Minerva Endocrinol 33(4): 341-57, December 2008
9. Polistena, A , Monacelli, M , Lucchini, R , Triola, R , Conti, C , Avenia, S . "The role of surgery in thetreatment of thyroid anaplastic carcinoma in the elderly"
Int J Surg
12 Suppl 2, 170-76, 2014. Retrieved from:
10. Baek, SK , Lee, MC , Hah, JH , Ahn, SH , Son, YI , Rho, YS . "Role of surgery in the managementof anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: Korean nationwide multicenter study of 329 patients withanaplastic thyroid carcinoma, 2000 to 2012"
Head Neck 39(1): 133-139, January 2017
11. Sunga, PAL , Cortez, ER , Ampil, IDC II . "Survival of patients with anaplastic thyroid cancer treatedwith total thyroidectomy plus radiotherapy, or tracheostomy plus radiotherapy"
Philipp J SurgSpec 50(4): 149-51, 1995
12. Lo, TE , Paz-Pacheco, E . "Anaplastic Thyroid Cancer: Experience of the Philippine GeneralHospital"
Endocrinol Metab (Seoul)
30(2): 195-200, June 2015. Retrieved from:
13. Kebebew, E , Greenspan, FS , Clark, OH , Woeber, KA , McMillan, A . "Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma.treatment outcome and prognostic factors"
103(7): 1330-35, . Retrieved from:
http://DOI: 10.1002/ cncr.20936
14. Akaishi, J , Sugino , K , Kitagawa, W , Nagahama, M , Kameyama, K , Shimizu, K . "Prognosticfactors and treatment outcomes of 100 cases of anaplastic thyroid carcinoma"
21(11): 1183-89, November 2011. Retrieved from:
15. Junor, EJ , Paul, J , Reed, NS . "Anaplastic thyroid carcinoma: ninety-one patients treated by surgeryand radiotherapy"
Eur J Surg Oncol 18(2): 83-88, April 1992
16. Haigh, PI , Ituarte, PH , Wu, HS , Treseler, PA , Posner, MD , Quivey, JM . "Completely resectedanaplastic thyroid carcinoma combined with adjuvant chemotherapy and irradiation isassociated with prolonged survival"
Cancer 91(12): 2335-42, June 2001
17. Greene, FL , Page, DL , Fleming , ID , Fritz, AG , Balch, CM , Haller, DG , Morrow, M . AmericanJoint Committee on Cancer (AJCC) Cancer Staging Manual, 6th Ed. New York: Springer-Verlag, 2002. 18.
19. Shaha, AR , Ferlito, A , Owen, RP , Silver, CE , Rodrigo, JP , Haigentz, M Jr. . "Airway issues in anaplasticthyroid carcinoma"
Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol
270(10): 2579-83, September 2013-September. Retrieved from:
20. Smallridge, RC , Ain, KB , Asa, SL , Bible, KC , Burman, KD . "American ThyroidAssociation guidelines for management of patients with anaplastic thyroid cancer"
22(11): 1104-39, November 2012. Retrieved from: